NVH solutions for a quieter ride
Redefining the passenger experience
When it comes to the premium automotive experience, Dow technologies in the automotive acoustics space are reimagining what it means to have a quieter ride. Our expertise and products range from polyurethane foams, polyolefin elastomers and resins, to coating materials – all with a focus on developing holistic NVH systems. With a robust acoustics product portfolio coupled with our unique testing suite, we create innovative, tailor-made NVH solutions.
Used in myriad applications, polyurethane foams, like BETAFOAMTM and Flex Foam Systems, serve as superior sound absorbers in automotives, dispersing the noise before it reaches the driver’s ear.
BETAFOAM? cavity fill foams maximize NVH performance when compared to baffle technology while minimizing costs and providing superior lightweighting options; provides increased structural support; and helps seal out the cabin against road and engine noise and dust.
With excellent sealing and form-fitting, lightweight cavity fill capabilities, BETAFOAM? polyurethane foams can be used wherever cavity sealing or stiffening is required, including:
- Body-side joints
- Door panels
- Engine cradles
- Frame rails
- Hydroformed replacements
- Lateral rails
- Longitudinal structure
- Underbody cross-car structure
Flex Foam Systems are optimized for cost, weight, and performance. Our in-house expertise with formulated systems enables the development of a specialized acoustic absorption layer in flooring applications.
- Excellent tensile properties
- Outstanding color retention during processing
- Excellent adhesion to substrates such as vinyl skin
- Fast curing
Polyolefin elastomers and resins
Serving as a key component of the acoustic barrier, polyolefins help improve layer processability and ability to block sound waves from entering the passenger cabin. By improving the NVH performance of carpeted flooring applications while reducing the weight of the acoustic barrier, Dow’s polyolefin solutions are constantly anticipating rigorous consumer demands to drive the industry forward.
NORDEL? EPDM offers consistent structure, ease of processing and lot-to-lot consistency. Dow technology, coupled with our in-depth knowledge, delivers differentiated solutions that can improve your competitive advantage.
- Exceptional uniformity and lot-to-lot consistency for better control that yield fewer blemishes, defects and rejects
- Wide temperature range of -40 to 150 degrees Celsius
- Inherently ozone resistant
- Excellent resistance to sunlight, weather and UV exposure
- Color- and odor-free
- Resistant to coolants and fluids
- Impact resistant
- Cleanliness for high quality surface
- Highly reproducible and predictable results
- Increases layer durability and tear resistance
- Easily processed
ENGAGE? polyolefin elastomers support the performance and processing of soft TPOs that meet demands for easier processing, improved aesthetics, enhanced performance and weight reduction.
- Excellent impact resistance
- Easy colorability
- Tough, yet flexible for easy installation
- Low density and light weight
- Easy mixing, forming and processing on plastic or rubber equipment
- Recyclable for in-process scrap re-use
- Excellent melt strength and processability
KELDAX? Sound Barrier Resin is a filled, ethylene-based polymer that provides acoustical sound barrier performance in automotive and other applications.
- Automotive Carpet Backing
- Door Panels
- Building Panels
ACOUSTICRYL? Acrylic Resins for liquid applied sound damping (LASD) offer easy spray alternatives to asphaltic membranes and viscoelastic materials across a range of applications where damping solutions are needed.
- Passenger cars
- Agriculture and construction equipment
- Better damping options
- Lower weight options
- Lower odor
- Non-reactive on the line
- Simpler application
- Lower VOC